Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Affordable Art

Most of my drawings from this week's Tuesday night drawing group were so bad that I couldn't stand the thought of posting them. Halfway through pose after pose I'd give up, flip over a new sheet of my sketchpad and start over.

Bob, the artist nearest me, said "It's never a good sign when you hear paper being crumpled up during a pose." 

I said "Yeah, that was a defective sheet of paper. It didn't draw good at all."

At the end of the evening's poses Bob ripped several sheets out of his sketch pad, folded them in half, and said "Anybody want to buy these before I throw them away?"

I asked "How much?" and he said "Three dollars."

"No thanks."

Then Bob ripped the sheets in half, handed one of the halves to me and said "How about $1.50?"

Oh how I wish now I had bought the ripped-in-half version for a memento. Maybe I'll have another chance.

The only drawing I salvaged from the night's sketches. After photographing the sketch I used the Dodge and Burn tools in Photoshop to add more shading, mainly to emphasize the model's mustache and goatee.