Saturday, January 26, 2013

One Night at the Tate


While visiting London a couple of years ago, Robin signed me up for an after-hours life drawing group at the Tate Modern. The event, organized by London Drawing, provided the models and the drawing materials. At first I was kind of freaked out by the slightly crappy selection of banged-up construction papers, half-dried out felt tip pens, and broken chalks. But now I’m pretty happy with the character that the not-top-of-the-line materials added to the drawings. 

At the end of the evening we taped our best drawings to the wall. I cropped one of my drawings by ripping it from its sheet of brown paper, then taped it to another drawing using the crappy remnants of masking tape I’d grabbed from the art supplies table earlier that evening. 

Later, as I contemplated how to refine some of the drawings, I realized that the memorable Tate drawing experience was best captured by ripped paper, masking tape, and dried-up marker scrawling.


One Night at the Tate
Giclée print on watercolor paper
32 x 40