Friday, September 28, 2012

Thursday/Friday Sketch

The daily newspaper got thrown away yesterday before I could choose a photo from it for my daily sketch, so I went to the office to check email. On one of the blogs I read regularly I followed a link to YouTube. While watching the YouTube movie I noticed links to Queen and Freddie Mercury and couldn't resist watching great live performances of Radio GaGa, We Are The Champions, Bohemian Rhapsody, etc. I paused the video, made a quick pencil sketch of Freddie on a watercolor tablet, then scanned the tablet page and imported the image into Corel Painter where I used watercolor brushes to paint a wash over the scanned pencil drawing. Next, I imported the digital watercolor painting into Photoshop where I used digital paint brushes, the Burn tool, and the Dodge tool to add brush strokes and adjust tones. I also used the Liquid filter to adjust and refine the shape of features. While working I put a screenshot of the video frame on the screen of a laptop and positioned it next to the iMac I was using. And, of course, I was using a pressure sensitive Wacom tablet.